Monday, May 14, 2007

Genuine Advantage, my eyeball!

I got this note today, that Microsoft tightens its grip on Windows Vista users. Not only will an invalid key disallow activation. An presumably invalid key will render Windows Vista practically useless.
The new Software Protection Platform, built into Windows Vista, makes the user experience noticeably different between a genuine version and non-genuine version of Windows Vista. When it detects a non-genuine version of Windows Vista installed on a PC, the Software Protection Platform will disable key features of Windows Vista, including the desktop, Start menu, and task bar. Windows Vista functionality will be restricted to the default Web browser for one-hour periods.
The practical implication is that your software will not run. Your browser will be available one hour, then the PC will shut down.

Well, you might say, serves you right for using pirated keys?

It turns out that Microsoft themselfs don't know which key is valid and which not. It also turns out that if you use a notebook and stay unconnected for a certain period of time, the "Genuine Advantage" will strike you and you have your one hour browser window.

I could understand that Microsoft will not update pirated versions of Windows. I hardly could understand that my product keys were not accepted online but telephone activation was accepted (I purchased 10 copies of Windows, Office and some Server CALs).

But I decline to see my advantage if MY PC shuts down on a business trip because Microsoft thinks, my product keys are pirated.

No comments: