Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Did I say, I love .NET?

I just read a book. Programming C# 3rd Edition. What for? I ran into problems with FreeMiCal.

FreeMiCal exports calendar items nicely. If you run Outlook 2007, of course. Those unfortunate to have Outlook 2003 or prior installed, are unfortunate.

You think it was as simple as linking a reference to the Office Primary Interop API. Think again. Microsoft has changed the way they offer this service.

Well, acording to the book, using .NET shall eliminate DLL hell. Only it does not. To be precise and fair. It eliminates the DLL hell to substitute with a Manifest and Signature hell.

While you were able to trick Windows into using the right DLL by using the search path, one can not trick the CLR into using a different version of an Assembly so easily.

I hate the thought of shipping two versions of FreeMiCal (one for Outlook 2003 and one for 2007) but if I don't find a simple solution soon, I will do exactly that.

No comments: